Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Bloging About Blogs

So...

I was reading my friend's blog the other day, the first and only blog I've ever read, and as I was discussing it with her, she mentioned that I should start my own blog. The first question I asked myself was "Why?" Why would I want to start a blog? The truth is that I don't totally get blogs.

I understand that blogs are like journals or diaries: a place where one can vent their thoughts and feelings in a healthy cathartic manner. Trust me, if blogging is your way to release enough stress and frustration that you stop choking your kid or stop donkey punching your girlfriend, then I'm all for it. But there's a technology piece added to blogging.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm behind in the world of technology. I hardly ever text for example. It takes me forever to type out and send my message. I feel it's a better use of my time to call the person, say what I need to say, get the response and respond back if need be. I hang up, and all is well. The other side of it is that, when I get a message, I have to use my secret decoder ring to decipher what it is they are trying to say. I caused a lot of problems reading my first text and misinterpreting lol for "lots of love." It ended awkwardly. It was probably how the term "bromance" came to be. But I digress.

Journals and diaries are personal and meant for the writer's eyes only. Blogs are intended for the world to read them and even respond to if someone felt led. This adds other layers such as, how may people are following your blog, do they like what you have to say, has your blog been nominated for anything and if so, how many votes do you have? I find it odd that this medium in which some people use to relieve stress could possibly be the source of stress. But that's just me.

The other thing that makes me scratch my head is the information age in which we live. The internet is a great source of information such as the betting line on sports or sexual fetishes from shoe sniffing to barn yard animals. The thing that gets me is that we have decided that all information is important. Take Twitter or Facebook updates for example. I came across a post of an acquaintance the other day that read, "Just dropped off my boyfriend, now I'm picking up my dogs." I wanted to reach through the computer, grab her by the collar and make her explain to me why I should give a flying fuck. It made me want to post an update of my own that read "I just had a bowl movement and am confused because I don't remember eating corn."

So I get the irony. I'm blogging about not understanding blogs. I'm posting my thoughts about too many people posting needless thoughts. It reminds me of the saying, opinions are like assholes: everyone has one and most of them stink. Blogs are our new assholes and they are now out there for all to smell and reply to.

To be continued... maybe.

1 comment:

  1. I had a Twitter account, but deleted it once I couldn't keep up with all the useless nonsense. Blogging about blogging is a start, you can blog about pretty much anything - even it is poop and corn chunks! Good for you! Welcome to the blogging world!

    ReplyDelete